Houson Drug Offenses Attorney

The state of Texas and the United States Government spend a great deal of money every year on the "war against drugs". Whether there truly is a problem or not does not seem to be the important issue - it is more a matter of what the government thinks it can prove against any given individual. In southern Texas in particular, the government seems to target people it thinks are coming in from around the country to meet suppliers from Mexico and pick up illegal drugs for distribution all over the United States. And many of the methods used to gain this so-called evidence are suspect - it seems as though the average citizen's constitutionally guaranteed rights are ignored whenever there is a chance making a big drug bust. From cocaine to marijuana to methamphetamine, anyone the government suspects can be subject to questionable searches and seizures or otherwise illegally obtained evidence. If this has happened to you, where do you turn for help with your legal problems?

At the David A. Breston Law Office in Houston, Texas, we have handled hundreds of drug cases. We are experienced in spotting problems with the government's case and challenging these problems in court to try and keep illegally obtained evidence away from the jury. If seized evidence is admitted, the government still needs to be able to prove that the drugs were actually in your possession - under your control or otherwise clearly belonging to you. This can be difficult to prove, especially when drugs are found in an area that many people have had access to or if you can show that the area in which the drugs were found was not under your exclusive control. Remember - the state has to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

If there are reasons why it would be better in your case to plead guilty, we can work with you and the government to work out the best possible plea agreement for you. One reason that you might choose to reach a plea bargain is that if you get a straight conviction, you will lose your driver's license for between six months to one year. However, if I can get the state to offer deferred adjudication probation, then your license will not be suspended. If you successfully complete a deferred adjudication, then in the future you will be entitled to receive an order of non-disclosure which can prohibit the government from `releasing any information about your probation to a private entity such as an employer. If the offense you are charged with is a misdemeanor, you are immediately eligible for the order of non-disclosure or you may have to wait for up to five years, depending on the misdemeanor. At the felony level, you must wait for ten years after your probationary period has ended to be eligible for an order of non-disclosure.

Our office is located in Houston, Texas - from there, we handle cases throughout the state of Texas, and particularly in Harris County, Richmond, Fort Bend County, Angleton, Brazoria County, Galveston, Galveston County, Conroe, Montgomery County, Anahuac, Chambers County, Liberty, Liberty County, Beaumont, Jefferson County, Hempstead, Waller County, Huntsville, and Walker County. No matter where you are in Texas, we can help you get the best possible result in your drug case.

Contact us today to see what we can do for you and your case. We have the experience, the knowledge, the skill, and the contacts to get the best possible result for you, whether that is through working out a plea agreement or taking your case to trial. Let us put the power of our years working in criminal defense to work for you.